If you want to make the most out of your sound system, getting the best PA speaker stand or bookshelf speaker stand is necessary. These items may seem inconsequential to the overall performance of your AV system but that’s definitely not the case. The wrong choice can easily compromise the experience that your system can bring.
With the wrong stand, your speakers will be at risk of tipping over, falling to the floor, and getting moved around by its own vibrations. They can also pose risks to the people and pets where they’re located as they can cause injuries. And if you live in an apartment building, they will help you maintain good relations with your downstairs neighbors as they can minimize the vibrations on your floors.
So if you’re interested in getting a good PA or bookshelf speaker stand, here are a few great options that we recommend you look into.
Kicking off our list is a minimalist option that offers great versatility, the Mounting Dream Speaker Stands Bookshelf Speaker Stands for Universal Satellite Speakers. With its streamlined design, it can blend in nicely in most contemporary homes, offices, and business establishments.
Made with heavy-duty steel, it can handle universal satellite speakers that weigh up to 11 lbs. It also has a sizeable base and an adjustable L-shape adapter that guarantees its compatibility with most brands. It’s also equipped with a concealed wire path so you can easily keep wires and cables organized and out of sight.
- Versatile in terms of mounting options and design
- Sturdy construction
- Easy to set up
- Might not work with speakers that have plugs in the center of their backs
The Starument PA Speaker Stands Pair is also a nice option to look into. With its sturdy steel construction, it can hold speakers that are up to 110 lbs. That’s an astounding amount of weight, so it can be a perfect choice for a lot of setups.
Equipped with a telescoping center column, you can adjust the height of this stand up to 6 ft high. It also comes with 50 pieces of reusable cable ties to help you with cable management.
- Very sturdy and can handle heavy speakers
- Adjustable height gives it versatility
- Excellent value
- Can get a bit wobbly when set up too high
For carpeted floors, the VIVO Premium Universal 23-Inch Floor Speaker Stands would be a nice choice. It comes with built-in carpet spikes so it will stay in place even with regular use of your speakers. This item is also worth considering if you’re after a sleek bookshelf speaker stand. Its aluminum and glass construction can also hold up to 22 lbs.
- Sleek design
- Carpet spikes promise stability on carpeted floors
- Designed with a concealed wire path
- Glass parts can get scratched
- Spiked feet are not height adjustable which can be a problem on non-leveled floors
A convenient option for those who need portable PA speaker stands is the Pair Rockville RVES1 Adjustable Tripod DJ PA Speaker Stands. This item comes with a carry bag, so if you often need to transport your audio gear, this product would be a convenient pick.
With a maximum weight capacity of 100 lbs and a maximum height of 71 inches, it can already suit a wide variety of applications. Its biggest draw is its air-assist for height lowering as it makes this item very easy to work with.
- Very portable
- Easy to set up, fold, and adjust
- Good price
- Factory packaging issues
For something a bit more stylized but still minimal, check out the Vivo Premium Universal 25-inch Floor Speaker Stands. These bookshelf stands feature a double-column design, offering more support and flair.
Aside from its looks, it also has a few extras that you might like. It comes with optional spiked feet so it’s quite versatile. It also has vibration isolation spikes to help further minimize sound resonance and give you the best auditory experience from your gear.
- Minimalist, versatile design
- Optional spikes for carpeted floor and vibration dampening
- Sturdy steel construction can hold up to 22 lbs
- Some don’t find the base to be heavy enough to handle very heavy speakers
If you’d prefer something with adjustable height for your home or event setups, the Pyle Speaker Stand can be a nice pick. It has a telescoping body that will allow you to adjust its height from 26”- 52” inches, depending on your needs. It doesn’t come with a tripod base, however, so it can still be a suitable option for homes or offices.
- Unique, adjustable height design
- Sturdy construction can hold up to 90 lbs
- Packaging can be improved for safer delivery handling
Impressed with the previous item? Then you might also find the Pyle Dual Studio Monitor 2 Speaker Stand Mount Kit interesting. This PA stand is different from the others listed above as it also comes with a sturdy metal platform base. This add on can make setups a lot simpler.
- Great value for the money
- Sturdy and can hold up to 90 lbs
- Easy to adjust and portable
- Some reports of packaging issues
One look at the Perlesmith Adjustable Height Speaker Stands and you’ll know whether they’ll be a great fit for your needs or not. Their sleek, modern design, coupled with their adjustable height feature makes them very attractive options. They even have 3 mounting configurations, making them an even handier pick.
- Designed with a wire management feature
- Multiple mounting configurations
- Highly-versatile modern design
- Low weight capacity at 8 lbs
Like the previous item, the Sanus Adjustable Height Speaker Stand is another modern-style pick that will appeal to a lot of people. It has a very sleek design, so if you’re very particular with what you’ll add into your space, these stands might just do the trick. They’re only compatible with small satellite speakers, however, so make sure to check the measurements first before making a call.
- Beautiful modern design
- Good value
- Heavy-duty construction
- Can only hold up to 3.5 lbs
Last but not least is the Pyle Universal Speaker Stand Mount Holder. With its sturdy construction and very friendly price tag, it can be the best budget speaker stand in the market today.
- Great price
- Solid construction
- Works with speakers that have 35mm compatible inserts
- Wobbles at its maximum height
Buying Guide: How to Buy the Best Speaker Stands that Will Complete Your Audio Setup
While these 10 picks can help you narrow down your options, choosing the best bookshelf or PA speaker stand can still be a challenging task. There are just so many great choices to go for that taking a pick can be a bit overwhelming. So to help you out, here are a few things that you should take into consideration so you can find your perfect match.
PA stand vs bookshelf stand
Lots of people tend to find themselves torn between PA and bookshelf stands because of the differences the two have. PA speaker stands have adjustable height, are more portable, and professional-looking, so they blend in well in various spaces. Bookshelf speaker stands, on the other hand, come in various designs and can be very sturdy. Many of them are also excellent pieces of furniture.
Choosing between the two is totally up to you. Both have their charms and advantages, so you should look closely at your needs if you want to make the right call.
PA stands, however, are best suited for professional settings. They work best in studios, events, and mobile setups. They don’t always look great in homes or offices unless you’re going for a very specific look. So when choosing between the two, keep in mind your purpose for the stand and where you intend to put it.
Compatibility with your speakers
The very first thing that you should look for in a speaker stand is its compatibility with your speakers. They should at least match the type and build of your gear, otherwise, they just won’t work.
There are a few things to contemplate in this area:
- Size: First of all, the size of the stand you’ll get should match the speakers you own. It’s pretty obvious but it bears repeating as some people might think that such items come in standard measurements.
- Height: The height of the speaker stand matters greatly as well. It’s crucial that they hit the right level for the purpose you have in mind.
For example, you’re setting up a sound system for your living or entertainment room. It’s important that your gear sits right on your ear level for you to get the best experience from your speakers.
If you’re setting up for an event, the speakers should be positioned in a way that will help you maximize the sound output. On most occasions, they’re made to sit above the head level so you’ll need taller stands for such purposes.
- Weight capacity: While recent trends are causing speakers to weigh less and less, it’s still important to get a stand that will not buckle under the weight of your gear. This will help ensure everyone’s safety, including your speakers’.
- Top plate: The top plate of the stand you’ll get should also be designed for mounting. It should have features that will let you attach the speakers onto them so they’ll perch securely on top. This will ensure that your gear won’t easily fall off their mount.
- Design: As mentioned above, the design of your speaker stand should also match the space it will sit in and the purpose you’ll get it for. In the case of bookshelf speaker stands, they are often considered as pieces of furniture already, so you might want to have them match your interiors.
You should also be very particular about the base design of the stand you’re getting. This is particularly applicable to PA speaker stands as they often use tripods. These can be prone to instability and failure, especially when poorly made or when it can’t handle the weight of the gear attached to it. So make sure to take a close look into this as well.
- Construction: A good speaker stand is also hefty and sturdy. Most experts recommend opting for a heavy stand mostly for two reasons. For one, it’s going to be harder to tip over. This promises stability and safety for everyone that will go near your gear.
Two, the stability of a heavy stand also helps minimize sound distortion. If your gear’s speakers vibrate at the slightest provocation, its surface will cause the sound to resonate which can then negatively impact the overall sound that you’ll hear.
The material and construction of the stand also play huge roles in its heft and sturdiness, as well as its appearance and durability. So make sure to be very particular about the build and materials used in your speaker stand.
- Cable management: This might be a tall order but if you can also find a stand that will offer you an effective cable management solution, that will be an amazing option. The wires that connect an AV system can get messy, so if there are special features on the items you’re eyeing that can help you deal with this, they can be promising options as well.
Choosing the right speaker stand doesn’t have to be as tricky as some expect it to be. If you know what you need, you will not have a problem with finding your perfect match. With our great picks and tips, we’re confident that this guide will help point you in the right direction in finding the perfect speaker stand.
- 10. Mounting Dream Speaker Stands Bookshelf Speaker Stands for Universal Satellite Speakers
- 9. Starument PA Speaker Stands Pair
- 8. VIVO Premium Universal 23 inch Floor Speaker Stands
- 7. Pair Rockville RVES1 Adjustable Tripod DJ PA Speaker Stands
- 6. VIVO Premium Universal 25 inch Floor Speaker Stands
- 5. Pyle Speaker Stand
- 4. Pyle Dual Studio Monitor 2 Speaker Stand Mount Kit
- 3. PERLESMITH Adjustable Height Speaker Stands
- 2. Sanus Adjustable Height Speaker Stand
- 1. Pyle Universal Speaker Stand Mount Holder