Camping is a fun experience, especially when you enjoy it with your friends and loved ones. All the outdoor activities that it packs lets you explore a whole new world all the while learning more about yourself. You see camping lets you learn a lot of things from pitching a tent to building a fire. You see the world in a whole new perspective which is quite interesting. And even though some activities you’ll engage in may be harder than others, your camping trip does not have to be. We have prepared this article to show you our tried and tested tips and tricks that make your camping more fun and memorable.
Camping trip planning tips
Planning a camping trip can be quite daunting, especially to the new campers. You cannot figure out where to start or what to bring along. How should you plan your menu and what equipment do you need. These are just a few questions we want to help you answer on this first section.
Before heading out, you need to figure out the tent size you need or the number of tents you want to bring along. This means that you need to know the number of people going on this camping trip. Other things you need to consider include:
- Reservations or permits required.
- Hunting or fishing license required.
On-site services available
It is easier for you to pack the right camping gear and equipment if you understand the weather during your planned date. Do you have to deal with insects like mosquitoes and flies? Decide on your ideal camping location because this also helps you plan the right gear.
Decide on the activities
Make sure to also plan for the activities you will engage in beforehand. Aside from camping, you may also participate in activities like hiking, fishing, or swimming, to mention a few. All these activities also make your camping trip and holiday vacation memorable. Deciding on these activities helps with packing and choosing the right camping site.
Plan your meals
It is also important to plan your meals. This is important because it helps you know the ingredients to bring along and the cookware you need. Consider healthy and flavorful meals that do not require heavy ingredients. Foil meals are a great option to consider. These are meals that can be cooked in an aluminum foil. Pack your spices and pre-sliced foods in small reusable containers or sandwich bags.
Tips on Tents
If it is your first time putting up a tent, we advise that you arrive during the day so that you have enough time to do it right. Make sure you check the ground for loose stones or other sharp objects before you put up the tent. When packing, make sure you bring along extra tent pegs. These extra pegs always come in handy when setting up your tent, especially when the ones that come with the tent are lower quality. Don’t forget to bring along a microfiber cloth as this comes in handy when you want to wide down the inside or outside of the tent.
Camping essentials that you need to pack
One of our biggest camping tips is to have a big camp storage box. You can pack things like utensils, toiletries, cooking ingredients, and a lot more in this camp box. This way, you’ll be able to keep all your items in one place and save enough space in your car for other camping items like tents.
Of course, you need a camping tent. You can either hire one or consider buying. Make sure though that you follow the tips we have highlighted above to be able to settle with the right size of a tent. Camping chairs are also other important items you can pack. At times it gets bored sitting on the ground. A good quality sleeping bag also makes a whole lot of difference. It pays to pack an extra blanket for those cold and chilly nights.
Camping airbeds are also a necessity if you want a nice camping experience. It pays to get comfortable, so don’t settle for less. Make sure you consider all your options and choose a quality airbed that meets your specific needs.
Make sure you pack the right clothes and footwear depending on the weather. It can get quite cold at night so pack some thick socks and walking boots. It is also a good idea to pack a first aid kit with essentials that you might need like plasters, headache pills, and antiseptic cream.
Tips for campsite cooking
Have a cool box or two that work so you can keep your foods and drinks. Make sure you pack a great set of cooking pots. They should be lightweight and super easy to clean. Make sure the set is also durable. Don’t forget to bring along a good pocket knife, matches and a lighter. A single burner camping stove would be great for an early morning coffee.
Tips to make camping easier and more memorable
- These camping tips are crafty and quite easy to implement. We point out a few tips to help make life a lot easier and your camping memorable. They save not only money but also space, time, and weight.
- If you are a DIY person, you can turn a 12 oz beer can into a camp stove. This small stove can boil water in less than 6 minutes.
- Repurpose an empty plastic coffee container as a toilet paper holder. Create a large opening on the side of the container to make it easy to pull the paper. This helps keep your toilet paper dry and safe.
- You don’t have to pack bulky containers that take up too much space. Use tic-tac containers to store your spices. Besides, a shoe organizer can turn into a great outdoor kitchen organizer. You can hang it above the ground and fill the pockets with essential kitchen items that you have.
- Use a headlamp and a translucent jug of water to make a lantern. Strap the headlamp to the jug with the light facing inward.
- This trick is for the budget-conscious person. Line the inside of your backpack with a garbage bag then place all your items inside. This helps keep your items dry in bad weather.
- Don’t forget to pack lots of plastic bags because you will need them to separate dirty clothes from the clean ones. They can also help with rubbish collection.
- Think about packing cans of drinks instead of bottles of beer or soft drinks. They not only help save space, but they are easier to dispose than bottles. You can crush them and throw them away in a small plastic bag for recycling.
- An insect repellant comes in handy when you are out in the wild. A few people suggest bringing along some incense as this also helps keep away insects at night. You might also want to buy a tick remover, especially if you are camping in an area where there are deers.
- Make sure you familiarize yourself with the poisonous plants and what they look like.
- A duo sleeping bag will be a good investment if you are sharing a tent with your partner. Body heat keeps you warm at night, especially on those cold chilly nights.
Choosing the right hiking boots
Buying hiking boots should not be something to take lightly. It is a process that requires time and the right knowledge to be able to explore the outdoors with the right gear. Besides, the right shoes help determine whether or not you will have the best hiking adventure. You need to be sure the shoes you go for are the perfect fit.
- Style: Hiking boots come in different types, just like sneakers, so you need first to understand what type of hiker you are. Do you prefer hiking in the mountains or are you a casual hiker? Light hiking shoes are simply a blurry version of running shoes. They are great for day hiking, and many people love them because of their ultra-light fit. If you are hiking on rocky territory or snowy paths, then you need mountaineering boots. They are quite durable and built to stand the toughest terrains. Backpacking boots, on the other hand, are great for different terrains. They have stiff soles and are highly durable so they can handle any condition.
- Material: Material is an important factor to consider when choosing the right hiking boots. Buying the wrong material makes your feet uncomfortable and cramped. Most of these shoes are made of synthetic material or leather. These material are all good, but they still have their share of pros and cons. Leather, for one, is quite durable and long-lasting. They provide added support for rough terrains. They are however quite uncomfortable at first but with time the material molds to your feet’s natural shape. The only downside with leather is that it is heavyweight and lacks breathability.
- Synthetic material is also another great alternative if you are looking for the best camping shoes. For one, this material is lighter and more breathable than leather. Their only downside is that the material is not as durable as leather. It is also not as waterproof as we’d expect. The most durable synthetic shoes may be a bit hard to find than leather footwear, but this does not mean they do not exist. If you are looking for a lightweight and breathable option, then this is the material to go for.
- Fit: Another important element of finding the right shoes is the fit. It is important to know your toes to find a comfortable fit. Consider your foot width, arch type, and feel around the ankle. We advise that you slightly size up to get comfortable hiking shoes. Don’t go for a pair that do not fit well simply because they are a great deal.
- Try them first: You never know if a shoe is the right fit until you try it on. Make sure you try them on before you go camping. Walk around in the shoes to get an idea of how they feel.
Different camp chair styles
These chairs come in different styles. The classic camp chairs have four legs, a straight back, and a flat seat. These models are often more affordable and quite stable. They are high enough so you can comfortably sit down and stand up with ease. The low chairs are good on sand because they are less tippy. You can also consider buying rockers and gliders for your next camping trip. These chairs work well on even ground. There are suspended chairs that let you swing and scoop chairs. The three-legged and two-legged chairs are also an option to consider if you are looking for camping chairs.
Choosing the right camping chairs
It’s easy to get lost when it comes to choosing camping chairs for your next adventure. We get it, the market is large, and there are thousands of options available. Besides, manufacturers keep boasting of producing nothing but the best, so we understand why this task can be daunting for you. Before you choose a camping chair though, here are a few things you need to have in mind:
- Purpose: You need to understand the end-use first before you select any specific model. For backpacking chairs, weight and size are an important aspect. How much weight are you willing to add? Check if you have room in your pack or not. Car camping chairs are bigger and a bit heavier but don’t forget that your car does all the heavy lifting.
- Materials: The quality of the materials determines the overall price of the camping chair. The material of the frame and fabric should be of high quality if you want something long-lasting. Most of these models may not be as lightweight as you expect, but there are lightweight backpacking chairs that you can consider.
- Capacity: Remember that these chairs do not support the same weight capacity. Make sure you check the weight recommendations of the chair you want and whether it supports your weight.
- Extras: Another thing you can consider looking is whether the camping chair has additional features. This includes things like the footrest, cup holders, and head pads. All these features help improve your overall comfort.
- Storage: Make sure the chair you go for is easy to store. A large chair takes too much space in your car. Consider a chair that is lightweight and compact.
- Price: Consider your budget before buying a camping chair. How much are you willing to spend on a camping chair? Regardless of the amount you put aside, make sure it is worth the price paid for.
- Location: The location you will be visiting should also be a factor to consider before buying a camping chair. As we have explained above, these chairs come in different styles and sizes. Lightweight chairs are great options for camping because they are easier to pack and take with you even in forested areas.
- Foldability: When out on a camping trip, you can also consider buying chairs that fold. This helps them easy to transport. Foldable camping chairs are also easy to store since they take up less.
- Size and weight: Just as we have pointed out above, the size and weight are also other important factors to consider. Lighter chairs are usually smaller in size. However, your camping plans play a significant role when it comes to choosing the size of these camping chairs. If you are out on the weekend in your RV, for example, then the overall size and weight of the chair would not matter.
Choosing the right camping backpack
Choosing the right camping backpack ensures you have the best camping adventures, whether it is for a few hours or an overnight camping trip. The process involves checking the style, features, and the overall size of the bag.
- Style: Consider the style of your backpack before making a final decision. A daypack, for instance, is an excellent choice if you are planning only a day hike. These backpacks can only fit a few essentials for one day. They are too small, so they may not be a great choice for an overnight trip. Backpacking packs are great for overnight camping trips. They can carry large loads and all the essentials you need for the night. These backpacks are available in different sizes, all designed with different sized torsos in mind. Backpacking packs have water bottle slots on the sides so you can carry your water. If you are an experienced camper, then an ultralight backpack would be a perfect choice. Ultralight backpackers prefer these backpacks because they reduce the weight by carrying only the essentials. These backpacks are often lighter and don’t have unnecessary fills. They are, however, less durable, so they don’t last longer than the other packs.
- Measure your size: Measure your torso so you can choose the right sized backpack for your camping trip. A pack that fits correctly is comfortable and does not cause any injuries. Most manufacturers specify the torso length and what pack size it fits. As we pointed out above, these packs are available in different sizes; from the small-sized ones to the larger ones. The sizes may differ among brands, but smaller packs fit torso lengths of 16 to 19 inches. Medium packs are great fits for torso lengths of 18 to 21 inches. Try on the different pack sizes so that it is easy to get the perfect fit for your camping needs.
- Material: The overall material is also an important factor to consider when it comes to buying a camping backpack. Make sure it is made of high-quality material. It should also be water-resistant for the rainy days. Buy a rain cover if you choose a backpack that is not water-resistant.
- Compartments: Look for a backpack that has plenty of pockets both inside and outside. Look at the front and side pockets so that you have enough space to keep all your important items.
- Comfort: If you have abnormally sized gear, go for an external back support frame. An internal back support frame is most popular for your regular camping trips. This frame helps distribute the weight of the backpack correctly. These backpacks can be very heavy, so make sure you go for a pack that feels comfortable. It should have padded shoulder straps to help reduce shoulder pain and a padded hip belt for maximum comfort.
Now that we have given you all the tips and tricks, we hope that you enjoy your camping trip. Utilize a number of these tips, and we guarantee you a memorable camping trip with your friends and loves ones. Some of the tips we pointed out above help save you money and space, so if these are important factors for you, then these are must-try tips.