Anytime you decide on recreation, joint trip, or any other journey with your loved ones, the first thing to figure out among your essentials in your to-do list, is a Trailer Hitch Cargo Carrier.
Designed to complement the needs of the user, and it serves your need for additional space fully. You will save a lot of space, rather than leaving out things you will need. Besides, everyone enjoys the comfort of your auto because of enough space.
After a concrete market survey of the various trailer hitch cargo carriers in the market, our reviews below have the best in 2020 and will help you make a practical decision.
What is a trailer hitch cargo carrier?
It is a carriage device mounted on the rear side of your vehicle in the towing area. Any auto, whether it is a crossover or SUV, you can quickly fix the carrier. Some vehicles already have the hitch receiver, and if yours lacks it, you need to visit your trusted mechanic for fixing. Read on to know about the various top types, and it will make your selection easy.
The two pieces foldable cargo carrier weighs 55.8pounds with dimensions of 33.5 x 26.5 x 8.5 inches has a durable finish coat, and it is the best fit for your SUV, van, car, truck, RV among others.
- It fits the standard trailer hitch of 2 inches, fixing is easy, and it suits any vehicle.
- With 500lbs loading capacity, it has a thick mesh made of steel, support poles and extra folding receive tube that is thick.
- It has 6” rails on the side for support of cargo, 18” folding shank for easy folding and 60” x 24” cargo carrier.
- The carrier size, durable nature, suitability in various vehicles, and ability to be folded, assures you of quality service even on a low ground vehicle.
A 1 piece 500lbs heavy-duty carrier measuring 60’’ x 24.4’’ x 13.8 and fits well in an SUV receiver. The presence of heavy steel guarantees strength and rust-free surface. The mesh nature of the surface and the raised rails ensures no falling or jolting of cargo.
- It comes with red safety reflectors. Driving on severe weather requires a reflector.
- Upon acquiring this carrier, assembling is easy. Fits well in hitches, and thus supporting the distributed weight entirely up to maximum.
- This is the best choice for heavy cargo bags, especially on a camping mission. The large size, rust-free, and support will serve you well.
The 500lbs trailer cargo carrier constructed from tubular steel is fit for both light and heavyweight. It is fitted with an E-coat and black carbide powder to boost strength and durability.
- The surface is easy to clean whenever there is a mess. The mesh keeps everything intact.
- Despite having reflectors for integrated safety while driving, the cargo hitch carrie has an angled shank.
- It makes ground clearance easy for any low-riding vehicle. Still, security concerns are met because nothing is lost while on transit in the 6-inch high walls.
- Choose the cargo carrier for lengthy work purposes, fastened cargo, safety, and low maintenance. Everyone will surely prefer such features.
A robust 500lbs carrier you will prefer anytime for tents, bags and other essentials. Due to the 3” netted side rails, the cargo remains tight. Even on high speed or when in need of parking in a congested place, the swing arm features and folding effect makes everything easy.
- Upon purchase, no rust instances due to resistance coating.
- It fits the 2” receivers without a struggle. The design gives a room for lifting the cargo to avoid contact with the ground
- The Pro Series last for years is easy to clean and accommodates a lot in (its 48” x 20” platform) one journey without you having to worry about space.
With 520lbs max capacity and fitting in 2” receiver, the KING BIRD has thick steel mesh, basket supporting metal poles, and a folding receiver tube. Such size is enough for everything you need to travel with.
- The two advanced high-quality straps (2 x 2.5m) and reflectors, for safety at night, come along as a gift, other than buying them separately.
- It is perfect for all autos. The heightened side, 6” side rails keeps everything intact and secure even on a bumpy road.
- This carrier is all that you need. With the perfect size, foldable, fit for any vehicle, and easy to set up, you have no other reason for having a different choice.
This 60” x 20” x 6” carrier comes with a free waterproof bag and two ratchet straps. The capacity of 500lbs helps withstand the weight of any cargo. Whether you are carrying construction materials or home appliances, you are good to go.
- Ground clearance is enabled through rising and foldable activity.
- When not in use, you still can fix it appropriately. Any auto provided it has a 2” receiver, is fit for this carrier.
- You benefit a lot from this device. Other than enjoying a limited warranty, your cargo will fit well, no damages from weather and you get value for your money.
It is a vortex steel carrier, with an extraordinary ability to create adequate space that you will fit several types of equipment. Made of steel, it is an assurance of high quality, durability, strength, and resistance.
- You will not require any assistance to install, it’s a 2-piece, with a strong plate leading to the 2” receivers of both large and small vehicles.
- This type of carrier will serve you adequately by giving you service for long. However, unlike the upgraded version, it lacks the lighting systems.
Aluminum made 500lbs capacity carrier. It serves your need for bulky items you are worried they might lack space in your car. You only need a 2-inch receiver to fix it yourself.
- Both in trucks, recreational vehicles, vans, and small cars, the basket surface allows you to carry that extra item you do not intend to leave.
- Choose this option for quality service without the interference of rust.
An updated cargo carrier that serves your needs fully. Made of HD tubular steel, you will never experience rust or instances of welding after a few days of purchase. The coat and carbide powder are up to date.
- To proof quality, it comes with two years warranty.
- Ease of compatibility. It fits perfectly well to different vehicles.
- Its 19” foldable size ensures it fits well at the rear door the moment you open it. Besides, you enjoy the free straps and red reflectors for night travel.
- It saves you space. Also, its mesh base, four metal poles, and 6” metal rails keep the cargo intact on a bumpy road.
This cargo carrier works best if you have a class III or IV auto that has a 2” x 2” hitch receiver. It provides immediate cargo space for various items, thus sorting out your worries.
- A 500lbs with two baskets, outer and inner the dimensions vary.
- On purchase, it includes reflectors for safety.
- If you need something that will render you service without rusting easily, this cargo carrier will do you good. Its power coat resists rust and also corrosion.
Steel made cargo carrier with a holding weight of 500lbs, and it is given in a box upon purchase. You will get it with straps and waterproofs bag to give you a waterproof surface. The straps will hold all your materials in a way that they will not get lost.
- When fixing your items, there are multiple tie points. The mesh floor forms a surrounding where place the luggage.
- It can be removed to clean or on occasions that require a placement surface.
- Its 2” shank rises to give ground clearance and foldable when not in us. The carrier is preferable in all vehicles with 2” receiver.
- It comes with a lifetime warranty.
It is a single-piece welded baskets carrier that has a strong tube construction. Purchasing it gives you a chance to use a heavy-duty carrier.
- It has an epoxy coating and a foldable basket style.
- With 500lbs support weight that is distributed, your objects will not fall, and above, the 6” raised side rails give enough support.
It is among the best you will have on the list. The 6- inch walls around the cargo space basket gives enough security. Besides, the integrated reflectors assure a safe drive by adding visibility.
- The angled shank makes it adaptable.
- Through folding, a smooth journey is guaranteed because of ground clearance, and also when not in use; the carrier is folded.
- Choosing this carrier assures safety, durability, lightweight design, long-lasting, and adequate strength (500lbs) to hold your heavy bags.
The Buyer’s Guide; Considerations in Buying the Best Trailer Hitch Cargo Carrier
Due to the needs to carry cargo from one area to another, almost every vehicle owner is embracing the idea of having the cargo carrier. It increases the usability and versatility of your vehicle. Are you in dire need of extra space? You do not need a bigger vehicle, consider the details below for the Best Trailer Hitch Cargo Carrier.
- Cargo weight: People interest varies on different days. What you are carrying today will be different from what you need tomorrow. However, if you are sure about the limits you carry daily, choose a carrier that serves you well. Having a 500lbs option widens your choices of what you carry.
- The vehicle maximum weight: It is a factor not many will remember to check though vital. Exceeding the weight of your auto is dangerous to the occupants. Never compromise your safety. If you have to carry anything, approximate the weight. Have a look at the car manual to know what it can hold.
- Proper installation: Now that you have a hitch setup do not make a mistake of installing the carrier poorly. Setting up is easy, but failure to set up well will lead to danger and poor functioning. There are two key areas to check during installation, i.e., mechanical and electrical. Follow through keenly.
- Nature of materials: Everybody wants something that will serve the purpose. For that reason, go ahead and pick a durable carrier. You are only expected to read reviews and know what suits you keenly. Also, good material will not rust or break easily.
- The size and design: What dimensions are you comfortable with? You might be interested in certain aspects, and that what you must go for. Carriers are in variety, and getting what you want is not a big task. They are many in the market. Ensure you have a design that satisfies you.
The cargo carriers are many in the market, and the worst mistake you can do is buying blindly. Read the entire content to have a decision you are satisfied with. Your understanding and keenness to details will help in the selection. No one will wish to buy something and regret later on.
All that you want is in the list above. The list is well researched, keeping you as a client in mind.
- 1. XCAR Folding Cargo Carrier
- 2. Heavy Duty Hitch Mount Cargo Carrier
- 3. CURT 18152 Cargo Carrier
- 4. Pro Series 6502 Cargo Carrier
- 5. KING BIRD Folding Cargo Carrier
- 6. Mockins Hitch Mount Cargo Carrier
- 7. ROLA 59502 Vortex Steel Carrier
- 8. MaxxHaul 70108 Cargo Carrier
- 9. KING BIRD Updated Folding Cargo Carrier
- 10. MaxxHaul 70107 Cargo Carrier
- 11. Mockins Cargo Carrier
- 12. ERKSEN Folding Cargo Carrier
- 13. CURT I8153 Cargo Carrier